Wednesday 4 April 2018

New Music: Hatchie - Sugar & Spice (Video)


If you were to plot a graph of how your love of music has deepened or otherwise as time edges forward what would it look like? If when you were fifteen you fell in love with the latest new indie band that the press was championing as the saviours of rock n roll, do you still love those records now? And do you still gravitate to similar styles of music? Or have your tastes moved on and changed? Have you now perhaps become a free-Jazz convert? Or have your tastes and interests waned as other aspects of life such as kids, houses, work taken over? Does today's music feel less invigorating than it did a few years back? 

I guess each persons’ journey is slightly different, but personally my palette has definitely got broader and wider with more textures, colours and love of different musical paintings as I’ve got older and developed more of an understanding of the song as a form and an art. Yet I still largely maintain a love of the old originals that brought my own sonic picture to life as a child as well. I’ve yet to tire of music in any way.

However, today I unashamedly admit that this song, Sugar & Spice from Brisbane singer Hatchie takes me back to some of the first sounds that really touched me. Glorious layers of dream pop / shoegaze guitars and a pretty indie pop melody take me instantly back to the late 80’s and early 90’s and yet here we are in 2018 and this stuff still sounds beautifully life affirming. 

The title track of her debut EP, Hatchie has explained that for the Sugar & Spice video she wanted something simple and colourful compared to previous videos to represent the fact that the track itself was a fun short song and that she took inspiration from her old school scrapbooks.

Hatchie - Sugar & Spice

No comments: