Today I’m introducing a new artist to Breaking More Waves, who the chances are you’re going to be hearing a lot more about as 2018 / 2019 rolls on. Her name is Lily Moore and here are the 5 essential facts you need to know right now:
1. Lily Moore used to go by the name Lily Rendle-Moore, but somewhere along the line she dropped the Rendle bit. So, if you saw her last year at Boardmasters, Barn On The Farm or Victorious Festival, or even further back in 2015 at Great Escape festival, yes it’s the same person. But up until now she’s not had an official release.
2. Let’s get the vocal comparisons out of the way shall we? Because there’s no doubt there’s a big dollop of Amy Winehouse in the way that Lily sings. And now maybe enough time has passed that having ‘the new Amy Winehouse’ (hiya Duffy) doesn’t seem such a bad thing. For the record I liked Duffy. Or rather I liked 1st album Duffy. It went very wrong very quickly after that. Let’s hope Lily has taken notes. If a well known soft drinks company approaches you about a naff advert Lily, just say no.
3. Lily is from Brighton. Outside of London I probably feature more artists from Brighton than any other place in the UK and right now there's a whole bunch of great soul singers coming from the south central seaside town. Besides Lily I've already featured a couple of them on the blog, namely Grace Carter and Isabelle Jones. The video that you’ll find below was shot on the seafront and in and around the pier in her home town with her friends, giving it a very natural feel.
4. Lily’s debut single is called Not That Special. It’s bound to get a whole bunch of people using the title to suggest that she’s very wrong and this is that special. It’s a lame joke, but actually correct.
5. Lily has previously supported Tom Grennan and will soon be out on the road with George Ezra. So, if you’re going to see Ezra get there early to witness a special talent.
Take a listen to Lily Moore below and prepare to be impressed.
Lily Moore - Not That Special (Video)