Friday 2 June 2017

New Music: Casi - Homesick


Since I first featured Welsh singer Casi on the blog back in 2015, I’ve had the opportunity to see her live a number of times and one thing has become absolutely clear – she wears some very fine trousers. This is important because as far as I’m concerned, I want my pop singers to look great. Let’s face it, if David Bowie (surely the model for all pop musicians to aspire to) had just gone on stage in a scruffy pair of jeans and a grey beer stained t-shirt from Primark, nobody would have taken much notice, would they? 

Talking of good trousers, another up and coming musician I’ve featured several times on the blog is Jerry Williams, who never fails to impress a fine cut and colourful number. Jerry sports the sort of trouser that if you or I wore them, we’d look like clowns, but when Jerry wears them she looks cool.

That’s the reason why last night I was disappointed not be able to make the BBC Introducing gig at the Lexington in London, which found Jerry and Casi sharing the same bill. Surely it was a show of off-the-hook pantaloon sensations?  If you were there, let me know if it was or not*.

Edit: My spies tell me Jerry was sporting a fine pink pair. This is a good start. I'm still waiting for news about Casi though.

Of course, besides the trousers, it’s also pretty important for decent pop types to have some decent pop songs and Casi’s latest Homesick ticks the boxes as far as that goes. “Attachment to place and people can be both cruel and magnificent. Homesick is me accepting what is now, how I feel today, and the realisation that sometimes, we have to let go,” says Casi of the song. Sadly, as you get older, you realise that it’s the same with those once cool clothes you wore as well, which creates a particularly difficult dilemma for older pop stars – to flaunt around the stage looking like a d*ck – or to slip into something a little more comfortable and uncool

Of course, the best pop stars manage to look amazing and have great songs all the way through their lives. 

Casi doesn’t have to worry about that for a long time yet though, so for now let’s just enjoy her stirring electronic pop, which is streaming below.

Casi - Homesick


No comments: