Friday 16 September 2016

New Music: Introducing - Mirror Furies


This duo from Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire has a very grown-up charm emanating from their music. Or that is, I should say, the one song that I’ve heard. Released way back in May to very little fanfare, Born Screaming by Mirror Furies is a thing of plaintive beauty and it deserves your attention.

The first thing to hit you is Carina Bragg’s voice. It has that raw emotive coating that could quite easily be powering its way over a big rock song, but on Born Screaming there’s just a quilt of lullaby guitars to provide a backdrop to the tune. And that’s the second thing – the tune. It’s hardly a revved up machine, more doleful than dynamite, but it has some power. It’s a song of goodbyes, of letting go and of finding your own space in the world. “Do you think you’re ready for that big old open world, only 17 now, you’re still a little girl to me.” Bragg croons. “What can I do, I can’t help you any more, I still worry about you, am I a stranger to your thoughts?” We all have to let go of the ones we love sometimes.

An enticing debut from Mirror Furies. If you’re going to Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester on October 8th get there early to catch them at the Deaf Institute at 13.30.

Mirror Furies - Born Screaming


No comments: