Friday 19 August 2016

New Music: Petite Meller - The Flute (Video)


Pop songs are just like buses, you wait for one to come along and then three turn up in the space of a few seconds. In fact the last few days have found a multitude of brilliant, sometimes bonkers (a good thing) tunes appear on line and sadly with the exception of one (here) I haven’t even been at the bus stop. So over the next couple of days, expect a number of posts which basically all fall into the same category, namely here’s an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G pop tune and you MUST listen to it.

Let’s start with this. It wouldn’t be any sort of understatement to say that I’m utterly in love with what Petite Meller does. She’s making out and out pop music that makes me want to throw my hands in the air and dance like a loon – but it’s also pop music with a strong visual base and huge sense of adventurousness. 

For The Flute Petite Meller travels to Mongolia to sing dance and have a chat with some of the wild animals there. She also wears a very big pointy hat that out does even the Pet Shop Boys pointy hats. It’s a tune which until today, from live gigs, I thought was called Put Your Hands On Me and I still think a better title would have been The Flute (Put Your Hands On Me) if only because  (if you've read this blog a lot, you'll know) I’m a big fan of brackets. Apparently The Flute takes inspirations from French cinema (Manon des Sources in particular) to the ballet of Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring. Oh and the outfits were provided by the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp.

It’s Green Man Festival this weekend. Wild Beasts, James Blake and Laura Marling play there. Imagine one of those doing this video. Now that would be worth paying to watch. Petite Meller will not be at Green Man. She will however be at Bestival in a few weeks time. For anyone that knows Rob Da Bank’s hedonistic colourful carnival / party on the Isle of Wight I’m sure you’ll agree that Petite Meller seems a very appropriate booking. I'll be there, maybe I'll wear a pointy hat too?

This is a double decker of a pop song.

Petite Meller - The Flute (Video)



No comments: